Saturday, May 1, 2010

18 months old = 1 1/2 years old!

Yesterday SHE was 18 months old! Wow! We've come so far together. We're raising quite the little independent girl. I can now empty the dishwasher AND almost cook an entire meal without someone clinging to my leg! wow! And what a helper--she helps emptying the dishwasher (and steals spoons), picks up fuzzes and puts them in the trash, moves laundry into the dryer (from the dryer door top), etc. Life is a lot of fun right now.

A few days ago, the neighbors let us borrow a plastic shopping cart. We had just returned from the grocery store, so it was a great learning tie-in. Boy, did she push that cart with determination! I was still carrying the stuffed penguin (which had to go to the real store and rode in the cart) so I put him in the "child's seat" in the plastic cart. No, she didn't like that and she kept throwing him on the ground. The 8-year old girl then brought out her Am. Girl doll and put her in the seat. Our child was perfectly OK with that. It was like, "duh, mom, penguins don't ride in the child's seat!" So cute.

Tonight she pushed that cart nearly all the away around our neighborhood. Every time I said "Want to ride," she walked faster! Maybe we won't have one of those kids that always needs to be carried...that will sure help save my back! :)

Yesterday was her 18 month doctor's appt. We finally switched pediatricians. I don't know who had a better time...she or I! What a joyful experience. The doc sang with her, kissed her, played with her, and did a wonderful job of the examination. Turns out she had an ear infection and no symptoms (except pus: eeew) so we're treating that. She also has a rather personal finding that I am not going to share on the internet. We are also treating that and the doc will see her again in a month. Most likely, the situation will resolve itself, as it most often does. She is in the 75% for height now at a whopping 33 inches and she remains in the 25-50% for head and weight (22 pounds 6 oz). I bragged on her to the doc that she knew 57 words and the doc laughed and said "Do you know how many I'd expect?" And I said "3-50." And she said, "More like 7-20." So, our social butterfly is right on track. The doc also liked her gait and after she was in her birthday suit and peed on the floor, moved away and said "uh-oh," the doc said, "Oh, and you can start putting her on the potty now, too!" Funny girl.

She is a huge joy. I wish I had the time and energy to write about our daily shenanigans. I will try to post some new pics in the coming days!

2 comments:

Barbara said...

Sounds delightful - nice that you have the little helper.
Also sounds like you made a good call on the new doctor - YAY!

jengalslp said...

I laughed out loud reading your blog tonight! Way to go!! Let the potty training begin...and let me know how to do it so when we get there in 6 months, we'll have a head's up! :) I know she is such a joy!