Thursday, January 1, 2009

Belle of the Ball

Well, AK has had quite a few firsts in the last few days....Yesterday she had her 2 month doctor's appt. Our little bowling ball has officially gained 3 pounds since birth, bringing her up to 9 lb. 13 oz. Her weight is slightly under the "average" curve, but her length and head are right on track! We can only hope she grows to be tall and thin like her mama! :) (as an aside: my size 10 jeans finally fit again!)

She also had her first immunizations. Now, I know there is a lot of hype on this subject these days, but John and I figured we survived with getting them and have been relatively healthy all our lives, so it would be the path we would follow with AK. She was a brave little soul, though it sure was trying watching that little face scream in pain. The only comforting news was at least we knew why she was screaming...not like the nights! She was quite perky and kicking up a storm when we got home until right after lunch. Then the poor thing turned pale and alternated crying and sleeping the rest of the day. It canned our New Year's Eve plans and wearing her "ballgown."

Fortunately, she perked back up today about mid-afternoon. She was back to her usual smiley, happy self. And, thanks to our wonderful neighbors who invited us to New Year's Day dinner, she got to wear her fancy dress, a gift from her "Texas grandparents, the M-s." This is the kind of dress a mother drools about her child wearing in the store, but only sees visions of spit-up, milk, and sticky fingers on it. So, you can imagine my child-like (not too hard to imagine, I know) excitement upon opening their gift of this beautiful dress. Even AK smiled when I put it on her! I always make a *big deal* of dressing her up and showing her in the mirror. I'm hoping she grows up with some sort of fashion sense.... :)

A disclaimer about the picture: There will be a replacement as soon as I get the ones our neighbor took of her....Everything was "new" in their house, so she was quite still for his camera and the pictures he took are GREAT! So, I patiently await their arrival so I can post them here.

Which leads me to AK's first kiss...Our neighbors have five children....the 4 boys are 9,5,3, and 1. The 5 year old planted two kisses on her forehead tonight. I teasingly told him he'd have to get permission from her father for the third. All the grown-ups got a kick out of that! Little K? Well, he just smiled and ran off to play....

AK is finally sleeping better at night. I am giving all the credit to NS and his Mozart Effect--Nighty Night CD.....We've had a few nights of very reduced screaming (tonight none at all) and she is making it 11pm-5am. There has got to be something to this CD! Thank you for the restful nights, NS!

And then, of course, this was her First New Year's. We wish you all a Happy 2009! J is much relieved for 2008 to be over. AK was indeed the best thing that happened to us in 2008.



1 comment:

Barbara said...

You are indeed Belle of the Ball in that beautiful princess dress, Anna Kate!

Love, Auntie B